Overlooking the village of Bommes, the Lafaurie-Peyraguey vineyards lie at the heart of the appellation on a high gravel terrace with Yquem as their closest neighbour. The chateau’s archives are filled with wine and history, its porches and outside walls partly date from the 13th century, and the Romans are known to have stopped off at its ‘Maisons Rouges’ plot of land. Its five hectares of gravel and clay and the ten hectares of sandy gravel that are ‘L’Enclos’ together make up the historic vineyard plots. Blessed with exceptional vines, they are planted on Quaternary gravel soils deposited on an Aquitanian limestone substrate over 600,000 years ago. It is no surprise that Lafaurie-Peyraguey wine appears in second place on the list of Sauternes Premiers Grands Crus Classés drawn up as part of the 1855 classification.